Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Stitches already??

Alright, I knew this day would come...but I can't believe it happened so soon. Our day started out so nicely...I took the boys to the HOuse of Bounce (this place with huge inflatable slides and obstacle courses). We had a ball! We played there for over two hours and I'm not sure if the kids or I had more fun!! What a blast!!

Then we came home, had lunch, watched a movie and Caleb took a nap. Apparently Luke is way too grown up for naps now. Well I was making dinner in the kitchen and Luke was pushing around this Rubbermaid tote full of toys in the kitchen by the train table. Then, all of a sudden he fell and then let out a terrified scream. I ran over to tell him he would be fine, when I saw him bleeding from his mouth....I was sure he had lost a tooth!! But thankfully they were all still there. However he was losing what seemed like massive amounts of blood from his mouth. (Ok, so yes I am a nurse, but all that education completely flies out the window when it is YOUR kid!)

So I got him a washcloth to put in his mouth and tried to figure out what was going on in there when I saw a really deep gash inside his mouth and a pretty good one on the outside too! So I called my Dad to meet us at Urgent Care (since Eric wasn't home yet)

After attempting to put shoes, and coats on my kids, stop the bleeding, and not let my child know that I was near panicking..we flew to Urgent Care. Thankfully my Dad was already in the parking lot so we went on in. Dad played with Caleb in the waiting room while Luke and I went on back. Amazingly enough on the way there, God let Luke sleep for a little bit... I know he hadn't had a nap, but I was amazed he could sleep after this. Anyway, after waiting FOREVER (equals like three or four SpongeBob's---which I have never liked, but was very thankful for today) the Dr came in with his consensus.
Lukie needed some stitches! He said we could try to do it there, but if Luke wouldn't cooperate, that I would have to take him to the ER to sedate him. He said we could also just leave it alone, but that he was really worried that food would get stuck in there and cause infection (seriously it was a deep hole)

My sweet little boy was such a trooper. They had to give him several numbing shots directly in the gashes!! Oh, it hurt me just to watch....It was absolutely the most heartbreaking thing!! But we kept talking and singing "God is bigger than the Boogieman" After about twenty minutes of being held down, he had two stitches on the outside of his lip and one big stitch inside to hold the gaping hole shut and earned himself two popsicles and some stickers from our sweet nurse! (who happened to be a friend of mine who used to work where I do--God is awesome!!)

Anyway, if I can keep him from yanking them out before Sunday, this will all be a bad memory.
Oh, and Eric had a to get a filling in his tooth today, and I just found out I have to have a very very expensive root canal (without dental insurance) next Tuesday..so I guess that's our three yucky things in a row!! But God is good and I am glad there are no stitches, fillings or root canals in Heaven!

Have a good day!

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Oh sweet girl, I feel your pain! Our Holly had a very similar incident when she was 5 -- with stitches and 3 teeth knocked out. It hurt Greg & me SOOOO bad when she was practically hysterical getting her stitches! AND, I just had a root canal 2 weeks ago without dental insurance, and that same tooth needs a crown now! So I truly empathize with you -- and remind myself as well that God is good and that this too shall pass. In the BIG picture, this is just a blip. Hang in there!!